// Home     // Print
     
    Facebook Twitter YouTube Flickr Instagram

Home > The Port > History > XIX Century

XIX Century

The port of Cadiz enjoyed a certain period of prosperity until the loss of colonies at the end of the century. It was a century of debate over the final siting of the port.

1870

The Military Engineer Rafael Cerezo was granted to build a port at Cadiz, and set up "The Commercial Port of Cadiz Society". The Matagorda careening dock was begun, constructed by the firm A. Lopez for the repair of its fleet´s ships.

1874

The heirs of the philanthropist Diego Martines Montañes acquired the rights from "The Commercial Port of Cadiz Society" to construct part of the Cerezo project (extension of San Felipe pier, a coastal pier and extension of the Harbour Master´s pier). This would be the port that, after having being transferred to the Public Works Ministry, would be managed by the first Port of Cadiz Board of Works.

2008    ©   Port Authority of Cadiz Bay    |    Pza. de España, 17 - 11006 Cádiz - España    |   Phone: (+34) 956 240 400    Fax: (+34) 956 240 476